A Mil is a unit of measurement used to measure the thickness of film in thousands of an inch; 1 Mil = 1/1000 inch. While simple in principle, it’s very hard to visualize 1/1000 of an inch. Look around; is there anything that you can relate to 1/1000 of an inch? For example, paper is about 9 mils and a human hair is about 2/1000 of an inch or 2 Mils, but try visualizing two hairs stacked upon each other as a 4 Mil bag. This is where most people get lost; there are few things that we understand as being 1/1000 of an inch.
The best way to understand the thickness of a Mil is to use some perspective. Here are some common everyday bags and their associated Mil thicknesses:
- A grocery store bag is 0.5 mil
- A dry cleaning bag is 0.75 mil
- A bread bag is 1.5 mils thick
- A freezer bags is generally 1.75 mils
- A retail shopping bag is usually 2 mils
Choosing the Right Mil Thickness
How thick of a mil needed is dependent on the application. If you’re product is heavy or has sharp corners, it would be a wiser choice to go with a heavier gauge than lighter. Vice versa, you would not want to place food items; fruits, vegetables, etc… in a 6 mil bag. Keep in mind that the clarity of a bag is affected by the thickness. A 4 mil bag would not be a clear as a 1 mil bag.
- 1 MIL - Economical short term storage.
- 1.5 MIL - Lightweight protection from dirt and moisture.
- 2 MIL - Protection for shipping and storage.
- 3 MIL - Additional protection for hardware, nuts, bolts and industrial parts.
- 4 MIL - heavy duty protection when packaging nails, screws, heavy sheet metal parts, etc...
- 6 MIL - Extra heavy duty protection against punctures and tears on bulky items or items with sharp corners.
We are Plastic Bag Partners, national wholesale distributors of industrial and commercial grade bags, poly tubing, poly film and sheeting; serving both the U.S. and Canadian markets. Our goal is to provide consumers with an unsurpassed selection of top quality bags and related materials for their business needs; superior in quality while remaining extremely cost effective.